Yes, the rumours are true… I will be back in New York City… at the end of November!! That leaves plenty of time to start planning our ultimate whirlwind tour itinerary, right?!
Well, I would hope so, but if you’re anything like me you’ll leave everything to the last minute. Not this time my little-unorganised friends, I will be a well-oiled trip planning making machine. Yes, you heard it first. Eek!
I’ve set myself a challenge to plan in the open in the hope that it may spur me on to research places more thoroughly. I must confess I struggle to sit around reading city guides all day because to be quite frank they can be really dull. I’m more of a doer than a researcher and planner. That’s why I love to meander through backstreets in the hope that it’ll take me somewhere new and exciting. I’d say 80 percent of the time it does and the other 20 percent you’ll find me backtracking sharpishly.
My hope for this trip is to find places that are less known and yet to be discovered. Don’t get me wrong I’m all for the usual tourist sightseeing thing and I will be taking part in that. I need the obligatory Insta pics, of course, but I want to go further. I want to know what New York City is really about. What makes it tick and why people love the city that never sleeps so much.
With this in mind, I am going to be all ears if you have any suggestions for less touristy places to stay, eat, see and do. Before I even start I know a few of you will say Williamsburg. But why? What’s the appeal? Please get in touch with me, I would love to hear your thoughts on this neighbourhood.
Jamie Carter | @mrjamiecarter